You may have heard of the term "thrush" getting thrown around in topics regarding vaginal health. Don't be alarmed. Thrush is actually just another word for a yeast infection. Yeast can grow in your mouth, throat, and other parts of your body. Vaginal thrush (yeast infections) usually occurs when your vaginal pH is off kilter. An unbalanced vagina can happen for a number of reasons, all which can easily be corrected.
What is a Balanced Vagina?
We aren't talking about a juggling act here; a balanced vagina refers to the pH levels. The pH level of anything indicates how acidic, neutral, or basic it is. The vagina's optimal environment is slightly acidic, ranging between 3.8 and 4.5. The acidity encourages the growth of healthy bacteria (Lactobacillus), which can help stop harmful microbes and bad bacteria from attaching to the vaginal wall. If the vaginal pH is out of range, it can cause a slew of infections "downstairs," including yeast. High pH levels can make you more susceptible to yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, and even STDs like Trichomoniasis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. With that said, it is very normal to have an unbalance. Things like antibiotics, your period, and feminine products can all interfere with your body's natural level. Maintaining a balanced vaginal pH will keep the vagina clean and infection-free.
Tips to Keep Your Vagina's pH Balanced
Fluctuations in pH balance are very normal. Here are some tips to keep your vagina happy.
- Wear Cotton Underwear: Cotton lets the air flow down there. Moisture can cause yeast to overgrow.
- Feminine Hygiene Products: Tampons, pads, douche, or scented soaps can disrupt your vaginal pH and encourage yeast and bacterial growth.
- Probiotics: These are the good bacteria. Either take supplements or eat foods rich in probiotics like yogurt, kefir, kimchi, kombucha, and raw sauerkraut.
- Use Condoms: Your partner's parts can cause unwanted bacteria in the vagina that can throw off your pH.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: We are big fans of ACV. It has antimicrobial properties that keep harmful bacteria from forming. Apple Cider Vinegar gummies are a great way to get the perfect daily dose.
- Drink water: Duh, water cures all. It helps flush out bacteria to keep the pH levels in the normal range.
Now that you are a pro in vaginal health, we hope you and your vagina stay balanced and infection-free. But if a yeast infection should arise, we have some tips on how to ditch the itch fast and get your pH back to good.