I'm sure every woman would love to say they plan on aging gracefully and taking our body's changes head-on. We can accept some fine lines, a few grey hairs, and maybe even a slower metabolism. The one topic that is often not discussed is how to deal with raging hormones, mood swings, and severe hot flashes at the onset of menopause. Some may find symptoms mild, but for many women, it can be a nightmare.
Menopause is a natural biological process that marks the end of a woman's menstrual cycle and the cessation of ovarian function. Menopause can happen anytime in your 40s or 50s, with the average starting age at 51 in the US. During this time, physical changes also occur as your body adapts to different levels of hormones, such as hot flashes, poor sleep, mood swings, and lower energy. Plus, this can start during peri-menopause and continue post-menopause.
The symptoms you experience during each stage of menopause are all part of your body's adjustment to these changes, but that doesn't mean it's easy. And unfortunately, it's unavoidable. However, you can turn that frown upside down – as there may be the light at the end of the tunnel. Checkable offers numerous supplements that may provide relief from some of the menopause-related symptoms.
Common Symptoms of Menopause
- Irregular periods
- Vaginal dryness
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Sleep problems
- Mood changes
- Weight gain and slowed metabolism
- Thinning hair and dry skin
- Loss of breast fullness
Signs and symptoms, including changes in menstruation can vary among women. Most likely, you'll experience some irregularity in your periods before they end. Women asked we answered. Here are the best supplements to take at the onset of menopause and beyond.
Benefits of Collagen for Menopause
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body. It is the main component of connective tissues that make up skin, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Our bodies produce collagen naturally, but as we age, it produces less and less, and by the time we hit menopause, collagen production decreases dramatically. In fact, older women can lose up to 30% of collagen production in the first five years of menopause. As if hot flashes aren't enough. Along with a slew of health benefits, here are a few specifically for menopause-aged women.
Collagen can help with:
Improves the appearance of skin: As time passes, the connective tissue in the skin leads to decreased elastin and collagen fibers that result in fine lines and wrinkles. Collagen supplements may work by stimulating your body to produce more collagen on its own, stimulating more elastin and hyaluronic acid. Studies indicate that ingesting collagen orally could reduce wrinkles, rejuvenate skin, and reverse skin aging by improving skin hydration and elasticity at its core.
Boost bone loss and muscle mass: As we age, bones become less dense and more brittle. As estrogen levels drop, inflammation can increase. Collagen can help prevent injuries by providing strength to joints, bones, and ligaments as well as enriching muscles with nutrients. Collagen supplements may help inhibit the bone breakdown that leads to osteoporosis and increase muscle mass.
Brain health: Collagen may improve mood and reduce anxiety symptoms. Some studies show that glycine found in collagen supplements is an inhibitory neurotransmitter which calms the brain.
Weight loss: Collagen can aid in weight loss and may promote a faster metabolism in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle and diet.
Strengthens hair and nails: Collagen may help strengthen hair and nails as collagen decreases during menopause. A decrease in estrogen also brings hair loss, which collagen can also help with. There are even some that claim collagen may even slow graying.
Promotes gut health: Aging gut microbiome can come with a whole host of digestive problems. Studies show that adding collagen to your diet may aid in digestive-related conditions like constipation.
Checkable Medical's Glow & Grow Beauty was expertly formulated with the perfect blend of Type I, II, III, V, and X collagen proteins. Made from bovine, chicken, eggshell, and marine sources, our collagen supplements deliver a full range of collagen that stimulates your body to produce more naturally and slow down the body’s aging process.
Benefits of Ashwagandha for Menopause
Ashwagandha is an evergreen plant that has been used in Ayurvedic medicine (the traditional system of medicine in India) to decrease anxiety, increase energy, and improve overall health. This non-toxic medicinal herb has magical healing properties when digested. Although it's best known for relieving stress, it can counter some of the menopausal symptoms like mood swings, hot flashes, stress, insomnia, and waning sexual desire.
Ashwagandha can help with:
Helps regulate mood: It can reduce symptoms of some mental health conditions, including depression, anxiety, and ADHD increasing serotonin levels which brings calmness and focus
Helps reduce stress and anxiety: It aids in normalizing cortisol levels in the body when stress causes them to dip.
Reduces inflammation: Studies show that Ashwagandha contains compounds with anti-inflammatory and rejuvenating properties.
Sharpens Focus and Memory: Studies have found that Ashwagandha helps improve cognition, memory, and overall brain function.
Promotes restful sleep: Recent evidence showed that Ashwagandha was an effective natural way to improve sleep, especially for those with insomnia
Helps balance hormones: Ashwagandha is one of the best adaptogenic herbs for hormone balance. It targets the endocrine system, which secretes hormones into our blood and can balance it out and control the flow.
Improves sexual function in women: Vaginal dryness is common in women during and post-menopause. Studies revealed significant improvements in arousal, lubrication, orgasm, and sexual satisfaction. Ashwagandha for the win!
Checkable’s Stress Less Ashwagandha supplements offer the perfect daily dose of this wonder plant. Our proprietary blend of Ashwagandha + Black Pepper is an herbal alternative to Western medicine to decrease stress & anxiety, increase energy, improve brain function and focus, and be an overall mood booster.
Benefits of Melatonin for Menopause
Hormonal changes in women entering menopause can often bring difficulties sleeping. Whether you toss and turn due to hot flashes, aches, and pains, or stress, menopause can definitely interfere with your sleep.
Melatonin is a natural hormone produced by the pineal gland in the brain that is responsible for regulating your body's circadian rhythm (sleep/wake cycles.) The amount of melatonin released in your body increases when it's dark and decreases when it's light. Natural melatonin production declines with age, so women going through menopause can take supplements to help aid insomnia, anxiety, and restless nights.
Melatonin can help with:
- Insomnia: Aside from the many wonderous benefits melatonin offers, melatonin is most known for its sleep aid properties. Studies show that 100% of women in menopause or perimenopause have trouble sleeping, ranging from occasional disruptions to chronic insomnia.
- Anxiety: Melatonin supplements may be used to treat mild anxiety. Studies indicate that the same calming effect that helps with sleep also is effective for reducing nerves that cause anxious feelings. Checkable's Sleep Easy melatonin gummies also contain natural passiflora, a calming herb linked to helping control anxiety that can cause insomnia.
- Mood swings: Mood swings are another hallmark of the menopausal transition. Some research suggests that melatonin may play a role in alleviating those highs and lows that lead to irritability, teary outbursts, and even depression. Whether it's from quality sleep or the vitamin B6 that comes in our melatonin sleep easy gummies, research shows that melatonin is a natural mood-booster and immunity builder that will help you wake up feeling refreshed and alert.
- Aids in bone loss: Melatonin appears to play a role in the prevention of postmenopausal bone loss; it is hypothesized that this effect may be mediated through melatonin's inhibition of oxidative stress and decreasing bone turnover.
Checkable's passion fruit-flavored melatonin sleep-well gummies consist of a hybrid of natural sleep aids and vitamins, including melatonin, vitamin B6, and natural Passiflora extract. Each gummy is perfectly formulated with a low dose of melatonin (1 mg/gummy), designed to dissipate throughout the night with no lingering groggy effects.
Benefits of UTI Prevention for Menopause
Who knew that UTIs could actually become more frequent during and post-menopause? All of the physical changes that occur help set the stage for UTIs and increase the risk factor. Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are the most common type of bacterial infection in women during menopause and beyond. However, a simple UTI can cause seniors to not only get them more frequently, but also experience different and more severe symptoms.
After menopause, the loss of estrogen causes vaginal tissue to become thin and dry, making it easier for harmful bacteria to grow. The number of Lactobacilli in the vagina naturally declines, and the bladder contracts less than it once did, making it more difficult to completely empty. If urine is left in the bladder too long, bacteria can grow and cause recurrent UTIs. If left untreated, UTIs in menopausal women can cause serious problems, including permanent kidney damage and sepsis, making it potentially life-threatening.
Urinary Tract supplements can help with:
- UTI prevention: Made with the most effective ingredients available, including d-mannose, cranberry juice powder, hibiscus, and natural dandelion herb, our urinary tract supplements help clean the urinary tract to prevent infections while providing nutrients needed to promote a healthy bladder. Research indicates that when D-Mannose is digested, it makes its way into the urinary tract, where E. coli bacteria (most commonly found in UTIs) could also be living. When mingled together, D- Mannose creates a slippery coating, thus preventing bacteria from sticking to the bladder walls. Because the E. coli remains free-floating, it can easily be flushed from your system during urination instead of sticking and multiplying, which causes the infection.
- Lessen UTI symptoms: Research also indicates that D-mannose also reduces the severity of UTI symptoms and helps balance vaginal pH. Plus, cranberries are full of antioxidants and are a great source of vitamins, including Vitamin C, Vitamin Bs, and Vitamin E, all of what your body needs to fight infections.
Checkable's UTI Prevent & Recovery is designed as a cleanser to help balance the urinary tract while giving you the nutrients needed to promote a healthy bladder, including D-Mannose, Cranberry Juice Powder, Hibiscus, and natural Dandelion herb.
Although menopause gets a bad rap and might seem scary, there are ways to make this new phase of life, the best yet. Think of all the positive things it brings, no more periods and cramps! Backed by science, Checkable’s supplements can help is menopause related symptoms, like hot flashes and insomnia that will keep you energized throughout the day. Embrace this next chapter with grace and ease, we dare you.